- Funded by: Europe for Citizens
- Leader organization: Associació Conèixer Història SPAIN
- The Associació Conèixer Història (Discovering History Association) is a Barcelona based organization
- The Fundació Solidaritat UB (University of Barcelona)
- Youth for Exchange and Understanding Cyprus
- YIHR BiH – Bosnia and Herzegovina
The “Youth and Memory activism” project aims to boost the relevance of youth in collective remembrance and memory politics, by stimulating exchanges of know-how and best practices in 3 European countries: Spain has not properly addressed its turbulent past until recently, today the “grandchildren generation” is finally dealing with the consequences of the Spanish Civil War and the Francoist dictatorship. Cyprus remains divided since Turkey occupied 35% of the island in 1974, today youth either doesn’t care or have populist beliefs in regards to local history. And Bosnia-Herzegovina still struggles with its transitional justice and reconciliation processes after the 1990’s war and today youth population is immersed in conflicting and contradicting narratives of the past.
In this regard, “You&Me” raises shared questions about the troubled pasts in the 3 countries. During three international workshops, public uses of memory will be questioned from multidisciplinary perspectives as a tool to achieve a more democratic society. The ambition of the youth exchanges is on the one hand to learn from other countries’ difficult pasts and how these are addressed today and on the other hand to question the tools which would encourage youth to become public memory players.