Tandem is a non-profit organisation that was established in 2007 by a group of greek and international volunteers willing to improve the quality of life of disabled children and youngsters living in an institution. They have been either abandoned or removed from their families and live locked away from society in a closed institution in Athens, where they face daily violations of their human rights.
The lack of stimulation and education that comes with living in closed intitutional structures (commonly mistakenly referred to as orphanages) as well as the lack of security, protection and love that a family would provide has a severe impact on the mental and emotional wellbeing of the children and youngsters that we work with.
Volunteers in this project are motivated and encouraged to organize themselves based on their interests and strengths under the supervision and the guidance of the coordinator, who is present in the project on an almost daily basis. The coordinator supports the volunteers and mediates between them and the institution. The coordinator also takes care of paperwork, pocket money and other practical issues and will help the volunteers with problems they might face living in a foreign country, such as booking a doctors’ appointment. There might be some fixed activities but mostly the activities depend on the volunteers’ own initiatives.
However, all volunteers share the following tasks:
- In the mornings: activities with the children with heavy disabilities, who do not attend school (going for walks, playing or listening to music etc.).
- In the afternoons: carrying out different group activities in our activity center inside the institution (cooking, handcrafts, drawing, sports, sewing, English lessons…), going for excursions outside of the institution (cinema, bowling, playground, swimming pool)
Sometimes: brushing the teeth of the children, cleaning and organizing the activity center.
- In the summer: going to the beach of PAAPAV and swimming with the children
- Are you between 18 and 30 years old?
- Are you respectful and you want to participate in Children’s with fewer opportunities and inclusion in society?
- Are you motivated and interested in youthwork?
- An EU citizen?
- Previous experience with vulnerable groups is more than welcome.
- Are you flexible in working environments and open-minded?
- Are you a teamworker?
Then this experience is the best opportunity for you!
- Accommodation is provided according to info-pack.
- Μonthly food allowance will be provided (140 €).
- They will be also entitled to receive a monthly allowance of 150 €.
- Travelling is covered based on the EU distance calculator.
- Read the infopack for more info
To apply for the project, candidates have to send their CV & MOTIVATION LETTER to email@example.com . The DEADLINE for the applications is 15th August 2023