Debate for Understanding is a Training Course which will be based on experiential learning: experiencing different activities, facing different situations and coming to one’s own conclusions in a debate. It will promote the idea of collaborative (instead of competitive) debating, including:
- understanding the opponent’s perspective,
- helping your opponent by improving his arguments,
- trying to disprove your own argument,
- creating a practical format of real-time collaborative debating,
- using online collaborative (wiki) debating tools,
- psychology of changing minds (for good),
- philosophy of truth in the debate framework,
- being friendly, polite and ethical towards opponent,
- detecting and disarming rhetorical tricks,
- detecting logical mistakes and correcting them.
At the second half of the training participants are be expected to create their own collaborative debating event,
material or tool which they must bring to their home country and organize as a follow-up activity with real audience
which participant will share online with other participants as well as to the general public as widely as possible. Participants should create an idea and bring it with them in Latvia.
Deadline for submission: 22/3/2018